To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

What is this?

Good question.

What is "Basie!"? Why did I choose the name? What am I trying to accomplish?

Basie! is a blog at which I will talk about a number of the pressing issues today. I will try to be both timely and thorough, but as a big fan of historical context, I will try to look at current events through a "big picture" lense. Though I am nominally a Democrat, I am nonetheless a moderate. I am middle of the road on most issues -- some I am to the right of center, others I'm to the left -- but I generally try to stick to the middle. I'm what I like to call a pragmatic progressive (or should it be progressive pragmatist?).

I'm a big fan of the Kid from Red Bank, New Jersey, Mr. Bill Basie. The Count was a jolly old fellow (have you ever met a rotund person whose not fun at heart?) who always swung. I am really into Jazz, and I think a lot of what the idiom is today is because of the forward thinking of the Count. So that's why this is "Basie!". (And I think it's catchy, no?).

The tougher question I saved for last. The short of it is that I want to have an historical record of my life, and more generally, my political and worldly views today (so I can look back in the future and laugh). I also want those who deem me important, for what reason I cannot imagine, to be able to keep up with me and what I'm doing.

On a larger scale, I think I have something to contribute to the world. Like Don Rumsfeld (and I paraphrase), I know that there are things that I don't know; I realize that although I think I know everything (doesn't everyone at my age?), I have yet to truly experience the world and all of its glory. As a result, I hope people can take some of my rants with a grain of salt. That being said, I think I have insight to offer the world. Hopefully, as time passes, others will come to enjoy that insight. I hope you enjoy this blog and feel free to comment on any post!



All original content contained on this site is protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of the author except as specified in this statement.

Permission is granted to quote content of any length, to reference, cite, link to, or otherwise use content, so long as you:
1) Refer to Basie! as the originator of the content.
2) Spell the name right. It's "Basie!".
3) Include a link to the original content on the Basie! website so that readers can easily navigate to this website.

You can contact the author of the "Basie!" website by sending e-mail to jonathanhsinger@yahoo.com.

Basie! is a private, personal website and is the product of the author as an individual. The views and opinions expressed are solely those of the author and no employer, other person, business or organization.

Articles, stories, etc. that are linked to from Basie! might be removed, rewritten, or otherwise altered by the original publisher and are not necessarily checked by Basie! after the day of publication of the link.
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...