To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Reagan processional

After work yesterday, I attended the processional for Ronald Reagan along Constitution Avenue here in DC. I stood almost directly between the White House and the Washington Monument, a fitting location, I do believe. It was certainly a sight to see, one that I will not soon forget. Although I was not close enough to the action to be able to see the former first lady or more than a mere glimpse of the casket sitting on its horse-drawn cart; nonetheless, it was a truly inspiring moment. When the president's hurse passed me, it was quite moving.

As this is the first such event in 32 years--since the death of Harry Truman in 1972 (Nixon's ceremony was far less grand)--I feel quite lucky to have seen it. Of course, it will surely not be another 30 years until the next presidential passing (as Ford, Carter and Bush 41 are in their 80s or 90s), but nevertheless I am glad I got to see this event. I'm not particularly a fan of Reagan or his policies, nor do I revere him to the extent that I believe he should replace Alexander Hamilton on the $10 bill, but I feel excited to have participated in such an historical event.
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...