To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

D.B. Cooper?

A very interesting article I just stumbled on in today's Oregonian written by columnist Margie Boule. Boule reports that the Discovery Channel will be debuting a documentary on D.B. Cooper on Saturday, August 7.

Who, might you ask, is/was D.B. Cooper? (You certainly have the right to ask this--unless you're from the Pacific Northwest!)

Boule writes that the Cooper is "the only man who ever hijacked a commercial airliner in this country and got away with it."

According to Court TV's Crime Library, "In 1971, D.B. Cooper hijacked and threatened to blow up an airliner, extorted $200,000 from its owner, Northwest Orient, then leaped from the airborne 727 with 21 pounds of $20 bills strapped to his torso.

He was never seen again—dead or alive. The crime was perfect if he lived, perfectly crazy if he didn't."



Boule writes that once the plane was diverted to Seattle, "Cooper was given the money, released the passengers and several of the crew, and directed the pilot to fly to Mexico. When the plane hit 10,000 feet, in a fierce storm, Cooper put on a parachute, opened the rear door, and jumped."

This story is particularly interesting to me as I grew up going to a summer camp not too far away from SeaTac International Airport. In fact, my camp was directly south of the airport, on the way to Mexico. As camp legend held, D.B. Cooper even landed on part of the camp property, and continues to terrorize the campers today! (I don't think this part of the story will end up on the Discovery Channel documentary). Whether or not this story is true, it is still handed down from generation to generation of campers. As a result, I thought it was thus my duty to pass it on to you...
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...