To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Monday, August 23, 2004

The Daily Show this evening and tommorow

Realizing that writing about The Daily Show now that I'm on the West Coast (and seeing the program three hours later than those on the East Coast) makes my posts on the show slightly less timely, I nevertheless want to talk briefly tonight's episode, which again was one of the best I've ever seen.

During the opening segment, Jon Stewart let the audience know that John Kerry will be on the show tomorrow night (as has been posted here, here and here) in what is sure to be an amazing 23 minutes of television. Tell everyone you know that they must watch the show, if not at 11:00 PM or 1:00 AM then the next day. What is more, if you have Tivo or a DVR (or even just a VCR), record the program so you show it to all of your friends in due time. This will be a big moment in the presidential campaign, so definitely tune in!

Now for the rest of the evening's program. The main news story dealt with during tonight's show was on the "controversy" over John Kerry's Vietnam service. Although I've tried to cover the story and analyze it the best I can (here and here), nothing I've come up with--heck, nothing the entire media have come up with--can compare to the dead on reading of this disgrace of a news story produced by The Daily Show.

Jon Stewart began by explaining the background of the Swiftboat Veterans for Truth, which is an ironic name "because they're neither swift nor truthful."

He then continued by speaking about Bob Dole, who "used to have a reputation as a party hatchetman," but would surely be fair in analyzing the story on CNN as he's a veteran who received the Purple Heart, like John Kerry. After showing a clip in which Dole said, among other things, that Kerry did not deserve the Purple Hearts and that he "never bled that I know of," Stewart quipped, "it's the old Bob Dole. HE'S BACK!!"

Stewart then turned to correspondent Rob Corddry for more coverage of the Swiftvets issue. In an exchange that contained a thinly-veiled attack on the media's abhorrent coverage of the debate over John Kerry's war record, Corddry revealed the media's lack of objectivity better than any real media analyst, from Howard Kurtz to Ken Auletta.

"My job is to repeat what one side says half of the time and then the other side ."

The show wrapped up with one of the best celebrity interviews I've seen in a long time with former NFL player/new author Robert Smith discussing a range of really interesting issues with Stewart. What is more, it was hilarious and it was great TV.

If you have a chance to catch the show when it is rerun tomorrow, you definitely should. And, don't forget to watch Jon Stewart's interview with John Kerry tommorow--it'll be great.
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...