To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Monday, August 30, 2004

From CQ: Is Zell Miller actually a Democrat?

I can't find a link, but I just got this via email:

Democratic Sen. Miller Makes Pitch for Bush-Cheney

There are those who might take issue with the opening line of a new Bush-Cheney fund-raising appeal that went out today: “I’m a Democrat.”

So sayeth Sen. Zell Miller of Georgia, who frequently breaks ranks with his party to support Republican proposals. Miller will deliver the keynote address to the GOP convention on Wednesday.

Noting he had delivered the keynote at the 1992 Democratic National Convention in the Big Apple, Miller says in his pitch for dollars: “In just two days, I will speak again in New York, but this time the party is the Republicans, and this time the candidate is George W. Bush. While much has changed in the last 12 years, my party has not. I’m still a Democrat, and I support the president.”

Miller, who is retiring after this Congress, certainly does support President Bush. Last year, according to Congressional Quarterly’s annual vote studies, he voted with the president on 96.8 percent of all Senate roll call votes on which Bush had taken a position. Only only 21 of the Senate’s 51 Republicans supported Bush more often.

As for being a Democrat, that might draw some argument from his Senate colleagues. Miller opposed his own party last year on 91.5 percent of all roll call votes that pitted a majority of Democrats against a majority of Republicans. That was more than twice the opposition score of runner-up Ben Nelson, D-Neb. — David Nather

------

Click here to sign up for CQ updates.
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...