To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Thursday, September 23, 2004

Exclusive interview with head of Log Cabin Republicans

This evening I attended a talk by Patrick Guerriero, the Executive Director of the Log Cabin Republicans, a GOP organization devoted to forwarding gay and lesbian rights. Mr. Guerriero, whose group made history by not endorsing the Republican candidate for President for the first time in its history, spoke at Claremont McKenna College in Claremont, California. After his speech, I had the opportunity to speak with him, and the following is a transcription of my exclusive interview with him.

Jonathan Singer: Mr. Guerriero, thank you so much for taking the time to speak with me.
Patrick Guerriero: My pleasure.
JS: As I'm a blogger interviewing you, let me ask you about the outing of gay members of Congress and congressional staffers by a blog. What are your feelings on this?
PG: I disagree with the outing campaign because it's counterproductive. I do oppose those who are closeted but support or sponsored the Federal Marriage Amendment, like Ed Schrock of Virginia.
JS: How about less vocal closeted members of Congress? There is a move to forcibly out the Congressman for this district, David Dreier.
PG: Again, I strongly disagree with the outing campaign. From what I understand, David Dreier is planning on voting against the amendment.
JS: In November or December, Josh Marshall of The Hill and Talkingpointsmemo.com suggested that when the President's approval rating dipped below a certain point--I think it was 45%--he would come out in support of the Federal Marriage Amendment. Not long after his approval ratings hit this mark, he indeed did come out for the Amendment. What do you make of this?
PG: I believe this was a pure political and strategic move to affect key voters in the six swing states I mentioned earlier (Iowa, Missouri, the Florida panhandle, West Virginia, etc.). This was based on Karl Rove's polling that showed that if the President stressed social issues in these states, he could move voters into his column.
JS: Lincoln Chafee this past week indicated that he might not vote for the President, in which case he would write in another Republican. Is this also where you stand?
PG: Let me say first that I couldn't vote for John Kerry. He is against gay marriage and for amendments banning gay marriage in states like Missouri. He also campaigned against me in the past in Massachusetts. I think the reality is that gay conservatives are doing a lot of soul searching right now--
JS: What about voting for a third party candidate like Michael Badnarik (the Libertarian nominee)?
PG: We don't advocate voting for any other parties.
JS: I've been writing a lot on my blog lately about the decline of the Rockefeller wing of the Republican Party. Where does your organization fit into this?
PG: There will be a Rockefeller Republican resurrection when we have a Republican nominee who won't use social issues to divide Americans. That will not happen sooner, though.
JS: I have a question about my Senator Gordon Smith and other members of congress in general. Senator Smith originally ran for Senate with the support of the anti-gay group Oregon Citizens Alliance, but has since changed his views on Hate Crimes legislation, for example. After his reelection in 2002 with the support of the gay community, however, he has moved back to the right and supported the Federal Marriage Amendment. How does your organization feel about this?
PG: Gordon Smith, like many, is struggling with the issue of Gay Marriage--he is a very religious man, and I've spoken personally with him about this--but let me say that the person who we are most frustrated with on this issue is President Bush. That having been said, there is anxiety and anger about this, and we are disappointed that he didn't come out forcefully against the amendment. Nevertheless, he has been the leader in Congress in the fight to extend Hate Crimes legislation to the homosexual community, and for that we are very appreciative.
JS: Now for a final question. Should John Kerry win the Presidency, some insiders say Congressman Barney Frank might run for Kerry's Senate seat. Where would you stand on his candidacy?
PG: I'm friendly with Barney Frank, but our organization only supports Republican candidates.
JS: Mr. Guerriero, thank you so much for your time.
PG: You're welcome.
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...