To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

More troops to Iraq soon

So sayeth the last conservative Dem in the Senate:

The top U.S. military commander in Iraq assured Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) and two fellow lawmakers during a Thanksgiving-week visit to Baghdad that more American troops soon will be sent to Iraq, the senator said yesterday.

“It’s not my prerogative, but I think you can expect an announcement in the near future that more troops will be going there,” Nelson said in a telephone interview from Omaha, one day after returning from a six-day visit to five nations in the Persian Gulf region.
Link.

I can't see how this is good news at all. For those utterly opposed to the war, this will obviously be viewed as an escalation of the war, mirroring the increases in troops sent to Vietnam nearly 40 years ago; for those who support the war, this appears to be too little, too late as attacks have dramatically increased as of late and November proved to be the bloodiest month of the war.

Perhaps the Bushies will figure this thing out, though I wouldn't count on it. General Eric Shinseki, who as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs from 1999-2003 said we would need 200,000-300,000 troops in Iraq and was let go for it, will be speaking at my school in a week, and hopefully he'll adress that issue. I'll certainly let you know what he had to say.
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...