To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Sunday, December 26, 2004

Portland's urban planning falls by the wayside

The Oregonian's Randy Gragg laments:

Voted into being just five months apart 32 years ago, the 1972 Downtown Plan and Oregon Senate Bill 100 gave Oregon two of the most far-reaching visions in the history of American urban planning.

At least until the nearsightedness of 2004.

Much as they rose together, they fell in November. The Downtown Plan's brilliant framework of tightly focused partnerships between business and government cracked with November's pitiful deal to revitalize the transit mall. Senate Bill 100's design for a mutually beneficial urban/rural divide was shattered by Measure 37.

In the local world of architecture and planning for 2004, nothing measures in profundity to those two events.
As someone who has lived in both areas, I certainly hope Portland doesn't turn into Los Angeles.
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...