To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Springer to Hit the National Airwaves

Jerry Springer is finally close to having his opinions heard by millions of Americans around the country. Well, I suppose he already has that, but now his political talk radio show will span the country, not just his bawdy television show. The AP's Lisa Cornwell has the story:

More people will be able to hear trash TV host Jerry Springer under a deal announced Wednesday to take his radio program nationwide.

Springer's show will go live weekdays on the Air America Radio network beginning April 1. The liberal all-talk network currently broadcasts on 51 radio stations and on the Sirius and XM satellite networks.

Springer will be heard on about 45 of those stations initially.

"I said when I started the show that I am committed to making this radio program work, not only because I enjoy it, but because we need to hear progressive voices as well as conservative voices in our conversation today," Springer said in a telephone interview from Chicago.

[...]

The "Springer on the Radio" show, which began in January on WCKY-AM in Cincinnati, has expanded to other Clear Channel Radio stations in Cleveland, Detroit, Miami and San Antonio. Springer said the deal with Air America will not affect his relationship with Clear Channel.
The key point to take from this story is that progressive talk radio is not only viable, its profitable as well. In just one year, Air America has expanded from three stations to 51, many of which are owned by the usually conservative Clear Channel Communications.

As Springer said, there is a real need for voices on the left in radio, and Air America -- along with others like Ed Schultz -- are filling that niche. What's more, specific hosts like Springer and Franken are creating a new genre of talk radio: a witty combination of politics and comedy. Anyone who tells you that liberal talk radio doesn't work is simply wrong.
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...