To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Gordon Smith Caves

Surprise, surprise. Gordon Smith once again gave in to the White House. One minute I'm praising him for standing up and pledging to upend the Republican budget, the next he caves to the conservatives in his party. The AP's Mary Dalrymple has the story.

Sen. Gordon Smith, R-Ore., who held Republican leaders in protracted negotiations over the size of Medicaid reductions, announced his support for the plan.

"Those who care about Medicaid, those who are served by Medicaid, be engaged and know that my office, my heart, my mind are open to you to do this right and not just to do this fast," Smith said.

Smith said he's working with the White House to assemble a commission through the National Academy of Science's Institute of Medicine. The advisory panel would recommend one round of changes by Sept. 1 and issue a final report for comprehensive restructuring in December 2006.
I'm not even sure why I'm surprised by this. Perhaps I expected Smith to act on his moderate statements rather than his conservative voting record. Today provides yet another piece of proof that Oregon's Dems must find a strong candidate to run against Gordon Smith in 2008.
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...