To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Clark Staying Behind the Scenes; 2008 Ramifications?

Over the past few months, former Democratic presidential candidate cum four-star General Wes Clark has worked hard to maintain his profile in the national media. In March, Clark relaunched his grassroots website, and in April, Clark spoke to me and other bloggers before his testimony before the House Armed Services Committee. And just this last weekend, Clark appeared on CNN's Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer to square off against Richard Perle.

Clark is not just working the media, however. The good General has also begun to cultivate his role as a major Democratic advisor, a move that Roll Call's Chris Cillizza says could have ramifications for the 2008 race [subscription reqd.].

Retired Gen. Wesley Clark has taken a high-profile role, both on and off Capitol Hill, as a Democratic spokesman and foreign policy adviser, stoking speculation that he is planning another national campaign in 2008.

Clark has emerged as a regular presence on Capitol Hill in the last few months.

His allies paint him as a "go-to guy" for Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (Nev.) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) on foreign policy matters, pointing out that he has been repeatedly invited by the duo to address their respective caucuses on the handling of current military situations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

[...]

All of this activity has created the impression in Democratic circles that Clark is actively weighing a bid, pending how the field ultimately shakes out.

Erick Mullen, a spokesman for Clark, said it was "ridiculous" to assume that the general was running for president but did little to deny that it is under consideration.

"All options are on the table," Mullen said.
Watching the video of Clark's appearance in front of the CA Democratic Convention last month, one gets teh clear impression that the General still harbors aspirations for higher office. But would he accept the number two spot on the Democratic ticket? Said former Clark advisor Chris Lehane:

"I've always thought a Clinton-Clark ticket had a nice ring to it."
Was I Clark supporter in 2004? Yes. Would I like to see him run in 2008? Yes. Is it a little early for me to throw my support behind any potential candidate? Yes! So although I still consider myself a Clarkie, you'll have to wait some time before I'm willing to tell you who my pick is for the 2008 Democratic nomination.
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...