To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Hmm...

I'm a bit confused tonight. I've been watching a bit of the television news, and many of the guests seem to believe that Mark Felt did something dishonorable by leaking information about Watergate to the press. Leaving aside the fact that most of these speakers were officials in the Nixon administration, the question still remains: was Felt wrong for going to Bob Woodward?

Let me step back for a moment. I have always thought Richard Nixon was a good President, perhaps even a very good President. The EPA was created under his watch, and the Clean Water and Clean Air acts -- among other major environmental bills -- were passed while he was in office. On the domestic front, he also wanted to greatly expand Welfare, among other things. Internationally, his policies towards China and Russia undoubtedly helped lead to the end of the Cold War. So even when Watergate is taken into account, I still believe Nixon was a good President.

This all having been said, I cannot fathom how anyone could think Felt was wrong to serve as Deep Throat. For all of the good Nixon was able to accomplish, his criminal acts within the White House threatened the very fiber of the American Democracy. The country was on the line, and in a time of great need, Mark Felt did what he deemed necessary to save the Republic. Even if he also had ulterior motives, it doesn't take away from the fact that he helped save America. It is that black and white. So as I said before, I hope history gives him the honor he deserves for doing as much as any other person in American history to protect and uphold the Constitution.
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...