To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Big Bird is Saved...

... as is NPR. It's a good day for public broadcasting. Richard Cowan and Deborah Zabarenko have the story for Reuters.

The U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday voted to restore $100 million for public television and radio broadcasting next year, reversing a Republican-led plan to cut spending deeply.

The funding fight played out as the Corporation for Public Broadcasting announced the controversial appointment of Patricia Harrison, a former co-chair of the Republican National Committee, to be its new president.

With the House's 284-140 vote to put $100 million back into the CPB's budget for the fiscal year starting on Oct. 1, public broadcasting supporters in the House beat back charges from some Republicans that "Big Bird is a billionaire."
I suppose this means I can still freeload off of my local NPR stations instead of bucking up and actually paying for membership. (I do feel bad about it.)
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...