To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Bush Faces Strong Opposition on Social Security

These are rough days for the President. Even when he doesn't want to talk about Social Security, he faces protesters aimed at blocking his plan for private accounts. Robert Pear has the story for The New York Times.

MAPLE GROVE, Minn., June 17 - President Bush came here on Friday to promote the Medicare drug benefit, enacted 18 months ago with help from AARP. But he was greeted by people protesting his plan to overhaul Social Security.

"Hands off our Social Security," said a sign outside the local community center, where Mr. Bush encouraged older Americans to sign up for the drug benefit.

The fight over Social Security could complicate efforts to sell the drug benefit, if only by sending a mixed message about actual and potential changes in the two programs.
These are tough, tough days.
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...