To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

The New Social Security Private Accounts Plan

Congressional Republicans have apparently taken a new tack in the debate over Social Security. In their new plan, as explained by the AP's David Espo, the GOPers don't deal at all with solvency and don't have private accounts. There is one catch, though. Their bill mandates individual accounts.

With the acquiescence of their leaders, key House Republicans are drafting Social Security legislation stripped of President Bush's proposed personal accounts financed with payroll taxes and lacking provisions aimed at assuring long-term solvency.

Instead, according to officials familiar with the details, the measure showcases a promise, designed to reassure seniors, that Social Security surplus funds will be held inviolate, available only to create individual accounts that differ sharply from Bush's approach. [emphasis added]
Pardon me as I descend into symantics, but the definition of inviolate is "not violated or profaned; intact." If the Social Security surplus is "available only to create individual accounts" rather than saved to finance future benefits, then the surplus is by definition being violated (def: "to break or disregard"). Am I reading this article incorrectly? Maybe I'm confused...
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...