To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Private Accounts Dead?

The New York Times' David E. Rosenbaum reports that yet another high ranking GOP leader is skeptical that private accounts will ever actually happen.

After the meeting, the second-ranking Republican on the committee, Orrin G. Hatch of Utah, said the Senate was unlikely to approve legislation that included investment accounts financed by Social Security taxes.

"I don't think we're going to get it," Mr. Hatch said. "We can't get even one Democrat, and some Republicans won't go along either."
The key here is the "some Republicans won't go along either." All too often, some in the media portay the GOP as united in the quest for private investment accounts, leaving the Democrats as mere obstructionists. As Hatch correctly notes, though, it will take a lot more than a few Democrats to sign on to a plan before the wheels will actually move, given the widespread disconent among some Republicans as a result of the Bush Social Security plan.
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...