To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Questions About the CAFTA Vote

Last night, the GOP leadership held the vote on the Central American Free Trade Agreement open for an hour -- four times as long as the 15 minutes generally allotted for House votes. Now, as CQ Today's Midday Update (free email service) reports, Democrats have begun to question some of the strong-arming by Republican leadershup and the White House.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., today raised the possibility that an ethics inquiry could result from the deals offered by Republicans to round up the votes to pass implementing language for the Central America trade agreement.

But she offered no examples and would not identify the Democrats who received what she considered improper overtures.

“Offers made to Democrats didn’t sound like it passed legal muster to me,” Pelosi said. “Offers were made, that were in my view, questionable. And I know they would be at cost to the taxpayers and I say that without any hesitation.”

Pelosi said she would not be the one to file any ethics complaint that might be warranted. Rather, she said, “those who have the information may.”

Ron Bonjean, spokesman for House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., said majority Republicans made no improper offers in securing their 217-215 victory.
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...