To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Monday, August 29, 2005

Bush Back on the Social Security Bandwagon

Two days ago, the Los Angeles Times' team of Joel Havemann and Warren Vieth wondered in print what had happened to President Bush's talk of Social Security. The New York Times's Anne E. Kornblut provides a bit of an answer.

Five years after delivering a major campaign address here [Rancho Cucamonga, CA] about the need to revamp Social Security, President Bush returned on Monday with a similar message, urging an overhaul of the retirement system as he celebrated changes to Medicare that will take effect at the beginning of next year.

In a speech at the James L. Brulte Senior Center, Mr. Bush began laying the groundwork for a return to domestic issues when Congress reconvenes next week.

"I haven't changed my mind since I came here to talk about Social Security," Mr. Bush said.

In a nod to the political hurdles that have stalled his proposed changes to Social Security and to predictions that he may have to jettison his plans for individual retirement accounts altogether, Mr. Bush added, "I'm going to keep working this issue."
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...