To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Brown Says Culpability Lies on Local, State Officials

It's bad enough that Michael Brown is still being paid a full salary by FEMA to explain to the feds what went wrong in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, but now it's clear that Brown's story is limited to blaming local and state officials. The AP's Lara Jakes Jordan reports.

Former FEMA director Michael Brown aggressively defended his role in responding to Hurricane Katrina on Tuesday and put much of the blame for coordination failures on Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin.

"I very strongly personally regret that I was unable to persuade Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin to sit down, get over their differences, and work together," he told a congressional panel. "I just couldn't pull that off."

[...]

"My biggest mistake was not recognizing by Saturday that Louisiana was dysfunctional," he said. The storm plowed into the Gulf Coast on Monday morning.

Davis pushed Brown on what he and the agency he led should have done to evacuate New Orleans, restore order in the city and improve communication among law enforcement agencies.

Brown said: "Those are not FEMA roles. FEMA doesn't evacuate communities. FEMA does not do law enforcement. FEMA does not do communications."
Is the entire purpose of Michael Brown's continued employment at FEMA to continue to shift any and all blame from the Bush administration on to Democrats in Louisiana? (Notice Brown hammers only officials in Louisiana, who are Democrats, and not the Republicans in Alabama or Mississippi.)
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...