To support this site, please make your purchases through my Amazon link.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

House Republicans Speak Out Against Miers

The Constitution stipulates that the President nominates judges and the Senate provides advise and consent. But naturally, many outside actors can have a voice in the process, even members of the House of Representatives. And as Elana Schor reports for The Hill, a number of Republican Congressmen are beginnning to voice doubt and concern about George W. Bush's selection of Harriet Miers.

Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.), head of the conservative Republican Study Committee (RSC), said, “I have reserved judgment, but I was disappointed that the president did not choose a known conservative jurist to fill the associate-justice position.”

Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-Colo.), the first lawmaker to oppose Miers, was less reserved. He claimed that her intellect is not up to the task of serving on the high court and reiterated his fierce opposition yesterday.

Tancredo said that while House members may not be able to vote on Miers, their reputation for being closer to the parties’ bases than the Senate means the lower chamber has a duty to give input.

“I’d hope they’d listen” in the Senate, Tancredo said, “but they won’t.”
With so many balls to juggle these days, it's a wonder how the White House is able to stay afloat these days.
|

<< Home


To support this site, please make your DVD, music, book and electronics purchases through my Amazon link.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Other Blogs
The Blogs I Read
The Political Sites I Visit
The Newspapers I Read
The Media I Consume
Oregon Media
Oregon Blogs
Blogroll
News Digests
Design by...